Further Reading

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Things You Carry With You

The process of packing for a long trip has something mythic and existential about it. You begin to feel that these clothes before you are not just a random assortment of quick-dry pants and non-cotton tops. Oh no. Not only have they been carefully selected for maximum utility across temperatures and dress codes, scrutinized for wrinkle-free packability, and weighed carefully on the scales of “added weight versus added happiness.” They will be the companions on every adventure, the splash of color (or more likely earth tones) in every photo. They will help set the mood and character of the days ahead.

And more imporant even than my rain jacket or pack towel are all the traveling companions I'm not even aware I've tucked in my backpack: preconceived notions, subconscious expectations and fears, hidden attachments to antoher time, place, or people - all of which will subtly alter the course of my experience. Perhaps a very accomplished guru would be able to cleanse her aura of all that extra baggage and walk forward with clear, open eyes. But yours truly has yet to find a way of not dragging it all along. The best I can do is try to be attentive, slow to form judgments, and eager to embrace the day rather than shape it to my own will.

As Brianne and I enter the second, arguably more culturally challenging Asia phase of the trip, an open mind and a present focus seem particularly important. I want to put my energy into inhabiting each beautiful, uncomfortable, tedious, heartbreaking moment. I'm taking for my mantra a Mary Oliver quote I often turn to: "Look, I want to love this world as if it's the last chance I have to be alive and know it." In what will perhaps be my last long wander for a great many years, I don't want to miss opportunities to be alive and be grateful for it.

So if you've made it this far, thank you for reading, and stay tuned for Hong Kong, Thailand, India, Nepal, and Dubai.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, Lauren. As for cleansing one's aura of preconceived notions - what a tall order that is. And I'm not so sure that it's something to be done in advance. Watching prejudices and assumptions wash away with a destination's rains can be one of the real joys of travel. So long as an open mind is packed alongside your advanced notions, I think they can be useful measuring sticks.

    India and Nepal are high on my list, so I'm excited to see them through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete